Reports To: General Accounting Manager
Primary Functions: Responsible for controlling general ledger activity for the Credit Union and CUSOs by understanding accounting workflows throughout the credit union and reviewing corresponding journal entries and estimates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the distribution of capital project expenditures and allocation of costs to individual projects within the approved budget. Assist Finance with updating capital project reports.
- Review all invoices booked to construction in process and/or fixed asset accounts to ensure that they conform to Credit Union capitalization policies.
- Prepare personal property tax files for approval and submit to the appropriate jurisdiction. Validate tax assessments and review for payment.
- Monitor and review assigned general ledger trial balance accounts to ensure proper coding of invoices and/or general ledger entries.
- Review accounting schedules and spreadsheets prepared by external departments for accuracy and appropriate backup and prepare corresponding monthly journal entries.
- Monitor assigned GLs for appropriate activity and prepare correcting entries as necessary.
- Assist with preparation of Accounting department reports, including monthly Board reports and regulatory reports.
- Maintain internal Accounting department policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
Creditable Experience in Lieu of Education: Bachelor’s degree in finance related field with two plus years of experience in a similar accounting position.
Experience/Skills: Must be well organized, have an analytical mind, be quick to learn and require minimal direct supervision. Demonstrate the ability to exercise good judgment and draw valid conclusions from data gathered. Must have good verbal and written communication skills and be able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical users. An understanding of accounting in a multi-departmental and multi-company environment with specific experience in accounting controls involving multiple automated systems preferred. Experience with the use of automated accounting systems is a plus.
Tenure: Assignment to the General Ledger Accountant I category 10, General Ledger Accountant II category 09 or General Ledger Accountant III category 08 will be determined by the candidate’s education or experience. Advancement requires management recommendation and will be based on the candidate’s certifications and/or performance.
Equal Opportunity Employer