Falls Road Animal Hospital has provided overnight emergency services in addition to General Practice services to the Baltimore area for over 30 years. We also have a pet store, kennel, grooming and doggie daycare services. Falls Road Animal Hospital is in suburban Baltimore nestled within the rolling hills and horse country where we treat a diverse clientele including dogs, cats, exotics and wildlife.
The veterinary assistant provides support to the veterinarians and technicians in their daily tasks by cleaning and maintaining equipment, feeding, exercising and grooming patients, preparing and sanitizing surgery suites, restraining and handling patients, and clerical and administrative work. They deliver quality care for all patients and provide exceptional service.
- Triage patients, perform physical exams, treatments, and administer medication as directed by the Licensed Veterinary Technicians; maintain accurate medical records.
- Assist doctors and technicians with the administration of medications or with patient restraint.
- Perform laboratory tests and take radiographs.
- Operate and maintain hospital equipment including EKG, fluid pump, syringe pump, scales, anesthetic monitors and machines, etc.
- Fill prescriptions, calculate and administer medications, maintain proper documentation, logging, and security of controlled drugs.
- Feed patients as prescribed by the attending doctor or as the client has requested; record appetites; recognize and report any unusual conditions or abnormal behaviors.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the hospital each day; clean equipment, kennels and facilities using chemicals and supplies; ensure the safe use of chemicals; complete laundry.
- Other duties may be assigned if working in a specialty area (i.e., dentistry, surgery, emergency, radiology, cardiology, neurology, internal medicine, etc.)
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education, and/or experience.
- One or more years’ experience in veterinary environment performing above duties.
- Able to perform moderately physically demanding work, that requires a lot of lifting (up to 50 pounds), cleaning, and constant motion.
- Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors.
- Requires knowledge of hospital procedures, treatment protocols; computer systems; and terminology used in a veterinary hospital.
- Must be flexible with scheduling and able to work some weekends and holidays.
How to Apply
At Falls Road Animal Hospital, we take the health and well being of our employees seriously, offering flexible working conditions and encouraging well rounded work/life balance. We offer a great compensation package, including health insurance, 401k and PTO. If this sounds like something you are interested in please apply online at petvetcareers.com and select “Join Our Support Staff“ and under location select Baltimore MD.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!Click here to get started.