As a publicly-traded Real Estate Investment Trust with a total enterprise value of ~$6 billion and placing 3rd in Washington Post’s 2020’s Best Places to Work List (for largest companies), JBG SMITH offers the perfect opportunity for career growth and advancement of skills. Already the largest REIT focused on the DC market, JBG SMITH is extremely well positioned for continued growth based on Amazon’s selection of National Landing in Arlington, Virginia for its new headquarters. The Washington Business Journal recognized this as the “Deal of the Decade” and it was described on the front-page of the Wall Street Journal.
JBG SMITH is deeply invested in its people. In late 2019, we moved to our brand-new headquarters, walking distance from the Bethesda, Maryland metro stop. With a design focused on embracing new ways of working, feel free to work at a standing desk or take your laptop to the outdoor terrace and work by the firepit. Need a break? Exercise at the on-site fitness center or relax with a cup of Cold Brew Coffee from our office tap. With free Bethesda Bagels every morning or the variety of fruit, snacks, and drinks available in the office kitchen, we don’t expect that you’ll ever go hungry. Competitive benefits, structured career mentoring programs, and frequent out-of-the-office team events ensure that you will be working in a collaborative environment that inspires you every day. Currently, the Company’s corporate employees are working remotely with a planned hybrid return to the office in October 2021 (two remote days a week).
You’re a detail-oriented and organized all-star who takes pride in your work. You are a problem solver who is not afraid to break from traditional processes to create more efficient solutions. You are a self-starter with a disciplined approach and strong follow-through. You have demonstrated an ability to juggle competing tasks and bring a flexible approach to most situations. As an essential member of a team that places emphasis on collaboration and a collective effort in completing team goals, you will never be alone in your efforts. Utilizing your excellent communication skills, you will have the opportunity to build relationships both within and outside the accounting department.
This full-time position will be within JBG SMITH’s Accounting department and will report to a Vice President of Property Accounting. The position will supervise a staff of three accountants and be directly responsible for reviewing the accounting, reporting, and cash management functions performed by their staff. This position will be looked upon to take a leadership role within the department and company. Leadership examples may include providing recommendations to improve in-place processes, cost saving initiatives, seeking out new responsibilities and special projects. Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned to meet business needs):
Supervise a staff of three accountants
- Meet regularly to review and discuss staff’s accounting workload
- Set goals for staff and evaluate performance throughout the year
- Provide guidance for recording journal entries on property sales, loan refinancings, recapitalizations and other significant transaction
- Perform detailed review of property financial statements prepared by direct reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with monthly close procedures
- Review monthly budget to actual variance explanations and quarterly year over year variance explanations
- Review Monthly, Quarterly, or Annual reporting for internal purposes, JV partners, and lenders
- Support / collaborate with other departments on asset acquisitions, dispositions, significant lease transactions, monthly draws, among other items
- Work with third party auditors on year-end tax and audit requests
As a condition of employment, all external candidates must provide proof that you are fully vaccinated from COVID-19 as of your first day of employment, unless a request for an accommodation had been approved. Fully vaccinated means two weeks has passed since the last dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose shot.
- Team player who is organized, proactive, self-directed, conscientious and assumes accountability and responsibility for specific performance and work product for themselves and their team
- Must possess strong organizational and leadership skills and attention to detail
- Must be comfortable interacting and communicating with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must feel comfortable managing a team and providing constructive feedback on a regular basis
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Bachelor’s degree in another field with relevant accounting experience
- 5 years of accounting work experience, preferably including 1-2 years of management experience
- Real estate/REIT experience is strongly preferred
- Public accounting experience is a plus
- CPA certification required
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products. Some experience in Yardi or other accounting software is a plus.
JBG SMITH is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.