The Assistant Director position typically has broad responsibilities within a department. The position is accountable for the management of a specialty area or a unit that needs direct supervision and operates under a Director or more senior leader. This position may also be used in a career development mode for a manager that will likely progress to a more responsible position. The Assistant Director is responsible for establishing efficiency, effectiveness, work flow and systems of the department or group of specialists under their immediate supervision.
- Manage specialists or teams of employees that require direct supervision.
- Assist more senior manager in the development of staff, and may be asked to lead recruiting, orienting, coaching and training efforts.
- Develops for approval, strategic goals, department budgets and work with senior management to develop implementation plans for key deliverables.
- Assists in ensuring all staff members are aware of deliverables, policies and programs.
- Lead others that support the delivery of plans, programs and operational efficiency.
- Review and recommend for approval bills, procurement expenses and other financial actions that may have significant impact on the department.
- Provide performance feedback through a formal performance review process, employee recognition, rewards, and disciplinary action, with the assistance of Human Resources, when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree is typically required but may be offset with significant experience in profession.
- Experience typically ranges from a minimum of four (4) or more years, depending on complexity and decision making requirements, but may vary.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong technical knowledge of the area(s) being managed. May serve as the subject matter expert but typically relies on others under management for subject expertise. Prior experience as a manager is common.
- Ability to establish goals, set priorities, oversee the short and long term deliverable of department objectives, ensure optimum performance of staff, may operate in a project manager role as needed, coach others, ensure quality of results and output.
- Solid understanding of the operation of the assigned department.
- Ability to fully utilize BHMC’s electronic record systems, equipment and other healthcare and billing systems relevant to this position.
- Position requires prolonged periods of standing, reaching, walking throughout the working day. Position will be required to stoops, bends, lifts, carry items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of The Brookdale Hospital Medical Center.
BHMC is an equal opportunity employer, it is our policy to provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, military status, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or handicap or other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.