SmithBucklin, a 100 percent employee-owned association management company, is looking for an Accounting Manager to join our Financial Management & Accounting Services (FMAS) team in Chicago. Our FMAS unit provides client organizations with substantial experience, resources and proven practices in non-profit financial management, including not only a comprehensive set of accounting services, but also decision-support tools and guidance.
What You Will Do
- Lead 2-3 accounting team members; perform staff reviews; train and develop; and mentor senior and staff accountants
- Plan and manage overall accounting activities for client organizations
- Review daily accounting activity for each assigned client
- Review and analyze monthly financial statements; provide recommendations on improving financial operations to key client personnel
- Maintain client compliance with current tax and legal regulations
- Manage and supervise the annual audit process; review the annual audit
- Manage client relationships with key vendors (e.g. tax providers, auditors, banks, investment advisors, etc.)
- Assist in the annual budget process; develop assumptions used as a basis for budget development; summarize the budget in relation to the client’s Strategic Plan; and prepare periodic forecasts
- Review/monitor appropriate internal controls and monitor compliance for cash receipts, AP, AR, investments, competitive bids and purchase orders
- Aid in the development and periodic review of an investment policy; analyze performance in relation to investment benchmarks; and aid in the development of an operating reserve policy to provide for future client programs
- Provide financial management support to executive directors and client teams
- Provide support to Finance Committees and Boards when required
- Work with the executive director to estimate the financial impact for Board and Finance Committee initiatives when applicable
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You enjoy working with multiple clients in a fast-paced environment
- You have a proven analytical ability with a results driven orientation
- You demonstrate proven relationship management skills
- You possess solid verbal and written communication skills
- You have the ability to travel up to 5% annually and work overtime as needed (around month end close, client year-end financial close and audits)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution with a concentration in Accounting
- 5-7 years of progressive accounting experience, to include 2 plus years of people management experience
- Public accounting or related multi-client experience is preferred
- CPA is preferred
- Proficiency with Adobe and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people – regardless of position or compensation – an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At SmithBucklin, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.