Under general supervision, the Account Manager serves customers by selling products to businesses, industrial and medical establishments or individuals at sales offices, stores, showrooms or customer’s places of business; meets customers’ needs and resolves customer’s problems.
The Account Manager works safely in compliance with customer specifications, company and regulatory requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Safety and Regulatory Compliance
- Demonstrates and ensures staff alignment with Airgas Safety Pledge and 12 Live Saving Rules.
- Exemplifies, promotes and develops safe work behaviors. Provides direct coaching to improve associates safety behaviors resulting in an improved safety culture.
- Ensures all applicable regulatory (OSHA, FDA, EPA) requirements are met and applicable training and recordkeeping is performed to meet departmental and location deadlines.
- Ensures compliance with all Specialty, Medical and Food Gas Standard Operating Procedures and ISO requirements.
- Meets and/or exceeds Gross Margin budget by servicing existing accounts, obtaining orders, increasing sales volumes
- Maintains existing book of business and establishes new accounts by planning and organizing daily work schedule to call on existing or potential customers/prospects and traveling throughout territory or talking with customers on sales floor or telephone.
- Compiles list of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on information from the internet, business directories, trade journals, and other sources.
- Increases knowledge of potential and existing customer by studying the type of product and volume used, depending on industry or trade factor, displaying or demonstrating product using catalog or samples and emphasizing sellable features. Account Managers must be able to explain types of gases and uses to customers.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the customer’s need and prepares a response to that need by quoting pricing, credit terms, estimated date of delivery to customer based on knowledge of company’s production and delivery schedules using software program set up by company.
- Prepares sales contract for orders obtained and submits order to appropriate company personnel.
- Keeps District Manager informed by maintaining and submitting activity and results reports (daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly and annual territory analyses) as required by company’s policies and procedures.
- Meets with manager to discuss special accounts, projects and situations.
- Checks accounts receivable as to status of existing account; communicate with credit and contact customers regarding overdue payment if relationship with customer is good.
- Obtains approval from credit department for new accounts.
- Maintains knowledge of competition by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, new products, delivery schedules, merchandising techniques, etc.
- Recommends changes in products, service and policy by evaluating results and competitive developments and discussions with vendors.
- Resolve customer complaints by investigating problems, developing solutions, preparing memos/reports, and making recommendations to management.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks with other technical people and vendors and participating in professional societies.
- Protects operation of company by keeping financial, production, sales and marketing information and plans confidential.
- Maintains a professional presence and demeanor that is reflective of a corporate image.
- Other job duties as may be assigned.
- May perform counter sales in a back-up capacity.
- May assist with store inventory.
- May provide backup during vacations and other instances of personnel shortages.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree from four-year College or University or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 years of experience selling medical, specialty or industrial gases and equipment to independent distributors and customers.
- Previous experience in the industrial and/or specialty gas business preferred.
- Related product knowledge is preferred.
Technical Expertise in the following areas strongly desired:
- Negotiating and selling skills required with a proven record of achieving or exceeding assigned sales goals.
- Customer-Service Orientation – Maintains clear communication
- Integrity – Acts on values and beliefs
- Initiative – Acts 1 -2 months ahead
- Flexibility – Must be able to work flexible hours to meet customer needs and management expectations.
- Achievement Motivation – Works to meet others’ standards
- Organizational Commitment – Actively supports organization
- Independence – Ability to work independently and under some pressure to meet deadlines.
- Diversity/Inclusion – Must be able to work with a wide variety of people with different personalities and background.
- Organization – Develops systems
- Frequent (up to 80% of work time);
- Knowledge of corresponding geographical area.
- Driving up to 100 miles/day
- Strong PC skills
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Able to save and maintain electronic files.
- Ability to learn and use additional 3rd party software programs to track data.
- Prior experience with SAP order entry software, a definite plus.
COMMUNICATION and/or CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to read and comprehend Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Ability to write routine business reports and business correspondence in English.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees and/or customers.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals using the English language.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent’s.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability