Colonial Park Animal Clinic, in Harrisburg, PA has been serving our community since 1985. We are looking for an enthusiastic veterinary technician or assistant to join us! Experience is a plus but not required. Responsibilities include: restraint, drawing blood, induction/monitoring anesthesia, assisting doctors, afternoon rounds, and assisting with appointments.We are a full service practice, offering the best in medical and surgical care. To support this, we have full in house labs, digital radiology, ultrasound and laser therapy. We also offer rehab services. We offer a full range of benefits, including insurance, 401k, CE and uniform allowance. We recognize that working hard is balanced by time away from the practice to enjoy friends, fun, and time with family. If this sounds like a good fit, please contact us for an interview!
The veterinary assistant provides support to the veterinarians and technicians in their daily tasks by cleaning and maintaining equipment, feeding, exercising and grooming patients, preparing and sanitizing surgery suites, restraining and handling patients, and clerical and administrative work. They deliver quality care for all patients and provide exceptional service.
- Triage patients, perform physical exams, treatments, and administer medication as directed by the Licensed Veterinary Technicians; maintain accurate medical records.
- Assist doctors and technicians with the administration of medications or with patient restraint.
- Perform laboratory tests and take radiographs.
- Operate and maintain hospital equipment including EKG, fluid pump, syringe pump, scales, anesthetic monitors and machines, etc.
- Fill prescriptions, calculate and administer medications, maintain proper documentation, logging, and security of controlled drugs.
- Feed patients as prescribed by the attending doctor or as the client has requested; record appetites; recognize and report any unusual conditions or abnormal behaviors.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the hospital each day; clean equipment, kennels and facilities using chemicals and supplies; ensure the safe use of chemicals; complete laundry.
- Other duties may be assigned if working in a specialty area (i.e., dentistry, surgery, emergency, radiology, cardiology, neurology, internal medicine, etc.)
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education, and/or experience.
- One or more years’ experience in veterinary environment performing above duties.
- Able to perform moderately physically demanding work, that requires a lot of lifting (up to 50 pounds), cleaning, and constant motion.
- Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors.
- Requires knowledge of hospital procedures, treatment protocols; computer systems; and terminology used in a veterinary hospital.
- Must be flexible with scheduling and able to work some weekends and holidays.
How to Apply
Please apply online through PetVetCareers.com
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!Click here to get started.