OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center, formerly Tuality Healthcare has always been committed to our community. It’s a part of how we care for each other, and part of what makes this place different.
We had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named Minnie Jones Coy started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro home. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth. A century after Minnie made her commitment to the people of Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health care to patients.
As part of our affiliation with OHSU Health, we’ve changed our name to Hillsboro Medical Center. This new moniker reflects our expanded services and clinic locations that provide patients living in Hillsboro and western Washington County greater access to primary and specialty care.
Summary of Duties
The Admitting Representative is a unique role that welcomes the patient into the care delivery setting, providing direction and assistance while ensuring customer satisfaction by offering solution to patient/visitor concerns and demonstrating knowledge and skills necessary to communicate with diverse population. Initiates the administrative system which lays the groundwork for the patient’s clinical care as well as the financial documentation during registration by interviewing patients and/or family members, collecting appropriate co-pays or deposits, obtaining signatures on legal consents and insurance forms, entering demographic and insurance information according to service provided, patient need, payer requirements and hospital policy. Supports the practice by providing excellent customer service, demonstrating professional communication on the phone and in face-to-face customer contact, problem-solving, and functioning as a team member to other staff. May float to emergency room, multiple inpatient/outpatient service locations, including the switchboard requiring an understanding of the facility codes.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES –
Performed majority of the time:
· Accurately completes compliance documentation for patient admissions as required according to patient service, payer requirements and hospital policy.
· Obtains signatures on applicable registration documentation.
· Registers according to physician’s orders.
· Maintains equipment and reports failure promptly to facilitate repairs.
· Attends department and other meetings.
· Collects co-pay/deductible/deposit per EMTALA laws & organization policy and drops off money on a timely manner.
· Scans insurance card(s) and picture ID of each patient into the account
· Verifies insurance using electronic insurance verification systems.
· Completes registration auditing as needed.
· Maintains resource documents (i.e. procedure manuals, reference books, user manuals, etc.) and knows how to look up a policy online.
· Asks patient for all information and keys accurate patient demographics.
· Distributes workers compensation documents as required by payers.
· Responds to customer needs in person and over the telephone in a courteous and constructive manner.
· Maintains integrity of the safe and its contents.
· Monitors alarms and reports alarm to engineering staff or pages overhead as necessary.
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of the job:
· Performs downtime procedures.
· Performs functions of PBX operator (switchboard) as needed.
· Arranges patient transportation as needed.
· Performs patient, visitor and employee medical screening as needed.
Decision making and budget responsibilities:
· Decision impact limited to the employee.
· No budget responsibilities.
Assigned direct reports:
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· Six (6) months of work experience in a medical office setting, including high volume direct patient contact, or one (1) year of work experience in a high-volume direct public contact position.
· Previous Electronic Medical Records (EMR) experience.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
· Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA).
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
· Maintains competency in multiple work areas.
· Communicates effectively with pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric customers based on principles of growth and development and life stages.
· Basic computer keyboarding skills including typing of 30-45 wpm.
· Strong relationship building skills with patients, providers, staff, management.
· Exceptional customer service, interpersonal and patient advocacy skills.
· Demonstrated evidence of strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to manage competing priorities.
· Ability to meet deadlines and urgent patient and organization needs.
· Ability to work independently.
· Willing to serve as a positive and professional role model.
· Proven record of reliable attendance, punctuality, and successful performance with past and present employers.
· Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation.
· Flexibility to work every other weekend (for On Call positions only)
· Bilingual skills a plus.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship, veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application of this policy in our daily business conduct.