Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Applies highly complex principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports, and coordinates the implementation of accounting control.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and may vary by location.
- Prepares highly complex journal entries for entry into the general ledger system on a monthly basis by collecting necessary data, analyzing and/or allocating costs and preparing audit train support for the journal entries.
- Performs month-end and year-end close functions including preparing journal entries, assisting with the review of department financials, and working with other departments and field business units throughout the close process.
- Works closely with the Payroll Tax department on various types of tax issues and leads monthly meeting to discuss new and ongoing matters.
- Prepares monthly account reconciliations for US and Canada payroll tax liabilities along with other payroll liability and balance sheet accounts.
- Review lease contracts to determine accounting treatment per accounting standard on leases, ASC 842, and process necessary operating lease adds, renewals, and terminations.
- Prepares financial reports in a timely and accurate manner; and completes individual analytical projects in a satisfactory manner given abstract project guidelines.
- Participates in monthly financial meetings for discussion and review of monthly financial reports.
- Assists with the maintenance and application of internal controls.
- Assists in the preparation of working papers for annual audit and internal controls audits.
- Provides expertise and guidance to other Finance personnel for proper internal and external financial accounting procedures and their application.
- Assists departmental managers/directors with other duties and projects as needed.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited) in Accounting or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and four years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: Five years of relevant work experience (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Expert accounting, accounts payable, and/or accounts receivable knowledge may be required..
- CPA is a plus, but not a requirement.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click “Apply.”