Matson, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol MATX. Founded in 1882, Matson (NYSE: MATX) is a leading provider of ocean transportation and logistics services. Matson provides a vital lifeline to the domestic non-contiguous economies of Hawaii, Alaska, and Guam, and to other island economies in Micronesia. Matson also operates premium, expedited services from China to Long Beach, California, provides service to Okinawa, Japan and various islands in the South Pacific, and operates an international export service from Dutch Harbor to Asia. The Company’s fleet of owned and chartered vessels includes containerships, combination container and roll-on/roll-off ships and custom-designed barges. Matson Logistics, established in 1987, extends the geographic reach of Matson’s transportation network throughout North America. Its integrated, asset-light logistics services include rail intermodal, highway brokerage, warehousing, freight consolidation, Asia supply chain services, and forwarding to Alaska.
Act as Matson’s primary liaison to assigned sales accounts. Partner with assigned customers to build relationships and problem solve in order increase freight volume, revenue and yield in support of Matson’s financial goals. Gather customer and business segment intelligence for tactical planning to continue market growth. Interface with all corporate departments as a customer advocate to ensure superior service and value are offered in order to meet corporate and regional goals, while representing the Company according to our standard of ethics.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Represent Matson as primary point of contact for assigned accounts. Includes making personal visits, phone calls, and other regularly scheduled and ad hoc contact.
- Respond in a timely manner to resolve customer inquiries and concerns, including but not limited to billing, freight tracking, equipment and collection issues.
- Liaison with other Matson departments and organizations to ensure satisfactory resolution to customer issues and inquiries.
- Develop a deep understanding of our customers and market segments to identify opportunities for growth in all Matson services.
- Develop relationships at all levels within customer organizations; from the dock supervisor to the CEO. Understand our customer’s freight needs in order to develop specific transportation solutions using Matson’s wide range of services.
- Develop internal relationships within all key Matson departments to enable responsiveness as customer advocate.
- Develop in-depth tariff knowledge in order to facilitate customer pricing requests and quotes while working within regulatory and company rules and requirements.
- Provide analysis and recommendations to Matson pricing and sales management for review and implementation. Review competitive filings and act on opportunities they may represent.
- Provide market and customer insight to Regional Sales Director, market planning, pricing, and operations departments to improve business efficiency and service offerings.
- Complete weekly and as needed activity reports to Regional Sales Director. May include annual or weekly reports as well as service failure incident reports, sales call planning reports.
- Meet or exceed annual goals established between Regional Sales Director and Account Executive based on the current Operating Plan.
- Manage individual budget to include business meals and entertainment, in accordance with established guidelines.
- Represent Matson with the highest ethical standards at all times.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office, particularly in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Basic knowledge of cloud based applications such as Tableau and Workday.
Qualifications, Education, & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- One (1) to five (5) years of sales experience with a heavy emphasis on customer relationship management.
- Understanding of Matson’s businesses, services, and competitive strategies.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good presentation skills.
- Ability to build rapport and trust with customers.
- Demonstrated follow-through and detail orientation.