Terracon’s Salt Lake City office is looking for a talented and experienced addition to our Environmental Department! As one of the largest and most-established environmental consulting firms in Utah, Terracon has an incredible team of environmental professionals and amazing clients.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience conducting Phase I Environmental Site Assessments. Additional valuable experience could include asbestos and hazardous materials surveys, abatement monitoring, or industrial hygiene environmental investigations, remediation, environmental permitting and regulatory compliance, cultural and natural resources.
The successful candidate will manage all aspects of an environmental project to ensure that it is safely completed on time and within scope and budget. Responsible for completing the project as per its contracted scope; monitor progress and performance against the project plan. Troubleshoot and recommend or resolve operational problems and minimize delays. May be responsible for resource management, project scheduling, budgets and forecasts, and working with external vendors, subcontractors or contractors. Conducts meetings and prepares reports to communicate the status of the project to project team and client. Set priorities, assign tasks, and coordinate project staff to meet project targets and milestones. May have responsibilities to communicate with the client and deliver work products to satisfaction of client. Coordinates effort with Authorized Project Reviewer (APR) to make sure that APR has opportunity to engage throughout the project, particularly at critical junctures. Is involved with approving invoices, preparing change orders, and collections.
Primary duties would include conducting Phase I Environmental Site Assessments on real property. This would involve gathering and evaluating regulatory and historical data, performing site reconnaissance, interviewing stakeholders, conducting file reviews and preparing a report detailing findings. Duties will also include conducting environmental site investigations, assessments and surveys to sample, measure and analyze building materials, air, water, and soil. Assist in identification, evaluation and development of risk and remediation strategies/designs to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations. Assist in preparing applicable permit applications, risk assessments and technical documents including proposals, reports and regulatory agency correspondence. Besides Phase I ESAs, projects may include limited site investigations, ecological and natural resource surveys, tank closure assessments, asbestos inspections and sampling, storm water inspections and sampling, remediation system operations and maintenance and site planning and permitting. Completion of some projects may require working outside of standard office hours and days.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, with an emphasis in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently and deliver quality product on time.
- Ability to cultivate strong relationships within a team.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Follow safety rules, guidelines and standards for all projects.
- Participate in pre-task planning. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- Mid-level scientific professional responsible for gathering data and information to be evaluated by other team members.
- Performs testing and sampling of environmental materials including soil, air, groundwater, building materials, and noise.
- Tabulate and prepare data for written reports.
- Report preparation by summarizing data and information within reports.
- Operates field monitoring equipment.
- Assists with operation and maintenance of remediation systems.
- Assist with asbestos surveys and abatement projects.
- Transport material samples or documents to the lab for further testing and analysis.
- Maintains and calibrates field monitoring equipment.
- Bachelors degree in technical discipline practices by the Firm including Engineering, Environmental Science or Geology and a minimum of 2 years related experience. Or, in lieu of a degree, a minimum of 6 years related experience.
- Valid drivers license with acceptable violation history.
Terracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracons growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracons vision of Together, we are best at people is demonstrated through our excellent compensation and benefits package. Based on eligibility, role and job status, we offer many programs including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid time off and holidays, education reimbursement, and various bonus programs.
Terracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.
Terracon’s COVID-19 Safety Response
Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. Its that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being Best at People, here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say no to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Offering voluntary reduced work schedule for anyone needing extra time to care for others
- Load leveling work assignments across regions to maintain high productivity and chargeability
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
- Implementing a stand-by leave program to ensure our employees continue service and health insurance benefits during regional work shortages
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if youre interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!
Regular, Full Time
City, State (Office Location)
Salt Lake City