Matson, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol MATX. Founded in 1882, Matson is one of the leading U.S. ocean shipping and logistics companies in the Pacific and provides a vital lifeline to the remote economies of Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, Micronesia and select South Pacific islands. It operates a premium, expedited service from China to Southern California. Established in 1987, Matson subsidiary Matson Logistics extends the geographic reach of Matson’s transportation network throughout the continental U.S with integrated, asset-light logistics services including rail intermodal, highway brokerage and warehousing.
The Account Specialist is responsible for customer communications in all Matson’s Trades and Services, providing the customer with one point of contact while acting as the customer’s advocate and liaison to the rest of the company. The Account Specialist will assist the customer with all aspects of their freight transaction by acting on their behalf to inform, resolve, facilitate, and manage the customer’s freight. The Account Specialist will ensure they meet and exceed the customer’s expectations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Deliver quality service with proper communication and follow-through that consistently reflects accuracy skills.
- Maintain an average speed that is within 25% of the mid-range of the assigned team.
- Demonstrate a working proficiency of all Matson tariffs as they pertain to the customer base for which they are responsible.
- Provide rate quotations.
- Book and schedule customer’s freight as requested.
- Monitor, track and manage customer’s freight.
- Provide timely and accurate invoicing.
- Ensure timely and accurate payments for services provided on behalf of customer’s freight.
- Facilitate communications and resolution of claims.
- Be knowledgeable and responsive to all customer needs.
- Demonstrate a proficiency of applications needed to support the customer.
Qualifications, Education, & Experience
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proven record of dependability. Punctual and reliable attendance of the Account Specialist is critical to the success of a fast moving service center.
- Preference for Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university or actively pursuing degree. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- One to two years of work-related experience in a customer service/care role in an office environment, preferably in a call center.
- Prior ocean transportation industry knowledge highly desirable, but not required.
- Must be able to learn and retain a large amount of technical information in a relatively short period.
- Able to manage multiple tasks.
- Proficiency with a keyboard and window-based applications, including Internet.
- Proven self-motivation skills.
- Active listening skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to excel in a team environment, as well as working independently.
- Organization and prioritization skills.
- Ability to think like the customer with a passion to deliver top quality service.
- The call center is open from 6 AM to 7 PM Arizona Time (Mountain Time Zone) Monday through Friday. To be considered, candidates must have the flexibility to work any of the shift times within those hours.