Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Application Support Engineer II will be responsible for the deployment, administration, issue management and vendor management of a variety of purchased and custom-built applications in support of Center Information Technology (CIT), partners and stakeholders.
Under supervision, the Application Support Engineer II will proactively contribute to the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of applications that support core organizational functions and complete routine assignments and/or project tasks. The Application Support Engineer II works closely with peers to provide application support for issues, is responsible for monitoring, maintaining, supporting, upgrading, and optimizing applications to help identify, resolve, and communicate issues and resolution, assisting in the implementation of project requirements. The engineer works closely with vendors to escalate issues as needed, to ensure successful communication to stakeholders and resolution.
The Application Support Engineer II will join the Research and Enterprise Applications Department (READ), a team that focuses on protecting critical clinical and enterprise applications and assets through technology upgrades, modernization, and management. As a group, we treat each other with respect, work collaboratively, maintain open communication, focus on our customers, and challenge ourselves and each other to grow, try new things and take risks. The Application Support Engineer reports to the Application Support Supervisor.
Evening and/or weekend work may occasionally be required.
- Facilitates and assists in developing, implementing, and monitoring standards or best practices that will streamline application reliability across the applications supported
- Responsible for communicating with end-users and stakeholders with timely updates
- Engaging and escalating to vendor of application as applicable; continuous monitoring and communication of this process as needed
- Assists in researching and implementing enhancements that optimize and streamline the application functionality to meet business requirements
- Builds partnerships and works closely with stakeholders on projects, owns project tasks and assists with technical requirements
- Manages, analyzes, and tracks issues/ technical problems, including diagnosis and root cause analysis, then moves quickly to resolve issues, escalating as necessary
- Knows and understands when to expedite, escalate, engage, and redirect issues and situations to other resources/departments
- Can be flexible and adapt to the rapidly changing needs of operations, technologies, teams, and the organization
- Create and complete internal support documentation
- Respectfully addresses situations or communicates decisions to assure customer concerns or needs are met; demonstrates professionalism with customers and vendors
- 3+ years’ experience successfully working in an application support role, system administration or engineer role in a complex, collaborative environment
- Strong analytical skills; ability to solve complex problems
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience troubleshooting application functionality and performance problems
- Issue resolution and escalation experience
- Knowledge of Windows operating systems
- Experience configuring and supporting SaaS Applications (i.e., Microsoft 365 support)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Application support in a healthcare and/or medical research environment
- Hands-on experience upgrading, deploying, and maintaining complex, custom, multi-tiered applications, web, and database servers
- Knowledge of Linux operating systems
- Working knowledge of configuration management systems
- Scripting/automation skills in PowerShell, Python, or other scripting language
- SharePoint Online and/or SharePoint on-premises administration experience
Fred Hutch has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations.
As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination or initiate the accommodations process before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.