Perform entry level professional accounting duties involving the maintenance and review of accounting and fiscal records and preparation of financial statements.
Normal business hours
Location (Subject to Change)
Duties & Responsibilities
Note: Depending on assigned responsibilities, employees may perform some or all of the duties below.
- Maintain financial records, accounts, ledgers, and journals.
- Analyze and audit accounting and fiscal data, records, and reports for a smaller department/agency or as part of a functional business unit.
- Prepare standard journal entries, and post transactions to proper accounts.
- Prepare summaries, trial balances, and related reports and statements for the assigned functional business unit.
- Oversee the preparation and maintenance of time and leave reports, payroll records, and pay vouchers.
- Receive funds, prepare deposits, and reconcile bank statements.
- Conduct field audits within the scope of the assigned functional business unit.
- Reconcile and balance financial statements and accounting records and ledgers.
- Prepare operating budgets.
- Compose correspondence.
- Direct, supervise, and review the work of assigned staff.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of governmental accounting principles, practices, procedures, methods, and theory.
- Knowledge of laws, rules, and policies governing assigned functional accounting area.
- Knowledge of computer operations using accounting and spreadsheet applications.
- Ability to develop computer based spreadsheets, graphs, summaries, and reports.
- Ability to post, balance, and reconcile financial accounts and records.
- Ability to learn supervisory principles, practices, and procedures.
Required Minimum Education & Experience
- A high school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- Four years of experience in bookkeeping or financial recordkeeping.
- An associate’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in accounting.
- Three years of experience in bookkeeping or financial recordkeeping.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in any business related field.
- Two years of experience in bookkeeping or financial recordkeeping.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a major in accounting or finance.
Required Pre-Employment Testing
- A passing score on pre-employment testing.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or other business discipline.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience in governmental accounting.
- Experience in Excel including use of pivot tables, macros and vlookup formulas.
- Experience with JD Edwards and Bank of America Works.
Additional Job Requirements
- Attendance at the specified Sheriff’s Office work location is required.
- Depending on assignment, employees may be required to possess a valid Florida Driver License at time of employment. Driving history will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- No visible tattoos on face, head, and neck. Tattoos determined to take away from the professional appearance of the Sheriff’s Office must be covered with an appropriate white, black, or neutral covering.
- No illegal drug sale within lifetime.
- No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. No marijuana use within the last 12 months.
- No felony convictions within lifetime.
- No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence within lifetime.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the United States Armed Forces, the United States Coast Guard, National Guard, or Reserve Forces.
- Successful completion of a background investigation including criminal, reference, employment, and neighborhood checks; polygraph; medical evaluation; and drug screening.